Cortland County Standard

Jan - Apr, 1872

Cortland County Standard and Journal

May - Dec, 1872

2 Jan 1872

Died. RIDER - At Marshaltown, Iowa, on the 14th ult., of typhoid fever, after an illness of 2 1/2 months, George W. RIDER, aged 30 years, only child of Job and Mary RIDER, and formerly of Cortlandville, in the full enjoyment of Christian hope of a blessed immortality.

16 Jan 1872

Died. HATCH - In this village, on the 15th inst., Mr. Frank HATCH, aged 24 years.

Died. MITUS - At Syracuse, Dec. 10, Louise Elizabeth Potter, wife of George MITUS, aged 28 years.
    Mrs. MITUS was formerly a resident of Cortland.

23 Jan 1872

Died. SHEARER - In McGrawville, Dec. 29, Wm. SHEARER, aged 57 years.

30 Jan 1872

Died. BASSETT - In this village, Tuesday, Jan. 23, 1872, Miss Maria BASSETT, in the 81st year of her age.

Died. HATFIELD - In Cortland, on the 18th inst., of inflammatory rheumatism and fever, Henry, son of Dea. Wm. S. and Perthena L. HATFIELD, aged about 13 years.
    In this affliction God, to us, has moved in a mysterious way. Eight months before, death called Electa, and these stricken parents yielded submissively, because it was God who spoke. Henry was still left, and their prayer and hope was that he might be spared to make pleasant their remaining years. But Jesus had a mansion for him also, and in calling him to it has left them childless but not comfortless.
    Eleven months ago Henry was led to give his heart to Christ, and to publicly profess him in baptism.
    His subsequent life gave proof that his hope was genuine. His last work was to comfort his weeping parents with the assurance that Jesus knew what was best, and with a song of triumph upon his lips was gathered into the "upper fold."

5 Feb 1872

Death of Henry P. RANDALL.

Died. - On the forenoon of February 2, Henry P. RANDALL, aged 35 years, 9 months, 28 days.
    On the afternoon of January 31, he left home to transact business at several places in Onondaga and Oswego counties. Finding that there was no sleighing north of Tully, on his proposed route, he there exchanged his cutter for a buggy. He stopped a few minutes at Cardiff about dark, and proceeded thence from two and half to three miles, near the south line of the Indian Reservation, where the accident occurred which deprived him of life. Mr. OWEN, his partner in business, has been to Cardiff and investigated the facts; and Mr. RANDALL's family learn from him, with sincere satisfaction, that the rumor published in the newspapers, going to show that their unfortunate relative was cruelly, if not wantonly run down and brutally abandoned on the road-side, on one of the coldest nights of the winter, to bleed or freeze to death, are unfounded.
    Martin STERNS, a farmer residing about a mile from Cardiff, considered a respectable man by his neighbors, states that when the accident occurred he was traveling south and ascending a hill in a heavy two-horse wagon; that it was quite dark at the time; that he did not observe until very near him a horse and buggy coming rapidly down the hill from the opposite direction; that he turned out as rapidly and as far as a bank on the west side of the road would permit him to do; that he believes this was done in time; that the buggy struck his hind wheels and was dashed to pieces; and that its occupant was thrown several feet in front of it on the ground. This was Mr. RANDALL. Whether incautiously muffling his face momentarily from the cold he did not see Mr. STERNS's wagon or see it in time, or in the darkness and hurry of the moment he miscalculated his distance from the wagon, or his horse suddenly shied from some object on the east side of the road, or the track was not cleared for him quite in time as Mr. STERNS believes it was, cannot of course be determined. Mr. STERNS inclines to the first of these suppositions.
    Mr. STERNS says that he immediately alighted and went to Mr. RANDALL; that, contrary to his expectations, he found, by his breathing, that he was alive; that his own wagon had no box or bottom boards in it, and consequently he could not carry him in it; that he placed some clothing under his head, covered him with a buffalo robe, and then hurried off for help; that he met some young men in a butcher's spring wagon and invoked their help; that one of their wagon springs was broken, and they thought they could not carry the additional weight; that he sought other help, and was returning rapidly with two other persons and a lantern; but that the men in the butcher's wagon, on reaching the wounded man, concluded to take him in, did so, and drove toward Syracuse, before Mr. STERNS returned. The latter says he intended to take Mr. RANDALL to his own house, about a mile distant, but in the terror and confusion of the moment, he had not probably mentioned this to the men who picked him up, and the same causes, it is to be charitably presumed, prevented his attempting to overtake them.
    The men who took charge of Mr. RANDALL were Daniel O'HARA, a butcher residing south of Syracuse, and two companions. They placed him in their wagon, with his robes and blankets disposed above and below him. Prudence would have demanded that they take him back towards Cardiff, where they could have soon found suitable habitations to receive him; but they probably did not realize how dangerously he was hurt, and not thinking it best to leave him in an Indian house, they drove to the hotel north of the Reservation, about six miles distant. On reaching there, they were advised to carry him on to Syracuse, and did so. From all that has been gathered it is fully believed that Mr. O'HARA and his companions felt humanely, and acted to the best of their judgment. But it would be heart-rending to think of the dying man being jolted about in the bottom of a wagon, and freezing, during that terrible ten mile ride, were it not beyond all question that, from the moment he received his fatal wound until his death, he was as unconscious as a corpse. One of his hands was considerably frozen, and his whole body was chilled through.
    Being unknown, he was taken to police headquarters on his arrival at Syracuse. Two physicians were immediately called in, and on their advice he was removed to St. Joseph's Hospital where he at once received the best of medical attention from Dr. CROUSE, Dr. DIDAMA and the other surgeons of the Hospital - and the most tender, unwearying and skillful care, from the Franciscan Sisters who devote their lives to nursing the sick in that admirably managed institution. Dr. HYDE also attended him from Cortland. His wife and father were present, and with some other relatives attended his remains back to Cortland.
    His family feel grateful for the intended kindnesses of all who took any steps to aid him after he received his injury. They feel deeply grateful to the officers and physicians who cared for him at the police office - to the physicians and nurses of the Hospital - to the numerous friends and strangers at Syracuse who tendered so many kindly offices - and to the multitude of friends at home who have made such generous and touching expressions of their sympathy.
    The funeral, which was held on the Sunday following, was attended by an unusually large concourse of sympathizing friends. Rev. S.H. HOWE, pastor of the Presbyterian church, conducted the services, in the course of which he paid the following beautiful tribute to the personal character of the deceased:
    "And now, in speaking personally of our young friend, whose sudden departure has touched so tenderly and with deepest sympathy so many hearts, I realize fully, from want of a more intimate acquaintance, the difficulty of embodying the sense and generous estimate of his many warm and ardent friends. Of a nature kind, sympathetic, and self-sacrificing, it was not strange that he succeeded in endearing himself to a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, and by his generous kindness and benevolence to those in need and poverty, some noble instances of which have come to my notice, it is not strange that the tear has started in the eye of so many who have been the recipients of his kindness, at the announcement of the sad news that "Henry was dead." In the charmed circle of home, where we live out our real selves, he was beloved, as we know, beyond the power or liberty of a stranger to express, as a kind and loving son and brother, full of affection and sympathy, and of studied deference to the feelings and comfort of the loved ones by whom he was surrounded. As a husband it is enough to say he was devoted and responsive to the wealth of her affection, whose life was anchored so entirely and so securely in him.
    "The circumstances of his sad, untimely death are sufficiently familiar to all, and I will not repeat them here. It is a great pleasure to be able to state, that the circumstances connected therewith were those which, on the best authenticated facts, exempt him from all possible blame or responsibility; and that certain statements, which were calculated to mislead the minds of some, were wholly without ground or foundation in fact. We all share in the regret that circumstances placed him beyond the reach of the soothing touch of family ministry and sympathy, and yet we rejoice, too, that the last, sad hours were not darkened by suffering, and that ministering hands, though those of strangers, in the tender spirit of the true Samaritan, lovingly cared for and ministered to him."
    The Odd Fellows' Society, of which the deceased was a member, escorted the remains from the depot to the house, and at the funeral, in connection with Brothers of the Order from Homer and Marathon, preceded the hearse to the grave, and there performed the beautiful ceremony of depositing upon the coffin the evergreen, as a last tribute of fraternal regard.
5 Feb 1872

    Mr. Samuel WELCH, so long and well known to our citizens for his upright character and general companionship, died very suddenly last Wednesday night. He had been feeling as well as usual during the day, was one of a Justice's jury in the evening and until half-past eight, when he went to the residence of his son - S.E. WELCH, Esq., where his wife and a lady relative were passing the evening. After conversing a short time he went home, which was at the next door, and when his wife came in he had gone to bed. He complained that his stomach pained him, but for the past three or four years such complaint had at times been made, and nothing serious was thought of this one. Soon after 11 o'clock, his wife asked him how he felt, but receiving no answer immediately arose and prepared a light. He had, however, already breathed his last. Help was quickly summoned, when the physician determined that heart disease had caused his death. His pleasant face will be greatly missed, as he was a great favorite with all. He was in the 76th year of his age.

13 Feb 1872

Death of Judge Lewis KINGSLEY.

    The Hon. Lewis KINGSLEY, one of the deputy naval officers at this port, died at his residence in Brooklyn, at noon yesterday. Though ailing for months, his condition has not been considered alarming, and he was at his desk in the Custom-House on Thursday last. But hemorrhage of the lungs commenced on the next day, and several severe recurrences rendered recovery hopeless. Judge KINGSLEY was born in Cincinnatus, in this State in 1825, and after academic education, was admitted to the bar. In 1850 he represented Cortland county in the State Assembly, and in the ensuing year was elected Judge of that county, serving until 1855, when he declined a re-election and moved to Norwich, Chenango county, entering into partnership in the law with his relative, the Hon. Benjamin REXFORD. In addition to his legal labors, Judge KINGSLEY was the editor and one of the publishers of The Norwich Telegraph, the leading Republican paper of the county. In the Presidential campaign of 1868 he was a member of the Republican State Committee, and an earnest worker during the campaign. In 1869 he was nominated to the State Senate by the Republicans, but was not elected. On the 1st of May, 1870, he was appointed Deputy Naval Officer by Gen. MERRITT, retaining that position under Messrs. GRINNELL and LAFLIN. Judge KINGSLEY was a man of large ability and fine intellectual culture. He was the compiler of several standard law books, and a contributor to Harper's Magazine and other periodicals. - Tribune

Died. COOK - In Homer, on the 4th inst., Mr. Caleb COOK, aged 88 years.

20 Feb 1872

Died. VAN HOESEN - In Preble, Tuesday, Feb. 13, Hattie B., youngest daughter of Matthias and Susan VAN HOESEN, aged 26 years.

27 Feb 1872

Died. COON - In Cuyler, N.Y., Feb. 13th, of malignant fever, Carrie J., youngest daughter of Ethan and Mary COON, aged six years and three months.

Died. JARVIS - In Waverly, N.Y., Thursday, 22d inst., Alvah JARVIS, aged 82 years.
    Mr. JARVIS was the father of our postmaster, H.A. JARVIS.

5 Mar 1872

Died. GRANT - At Binghamton, Feb. 27th, Bradley M. GRANT, aged 43 years.

Died. EAYRS - In New York city, Feb. 28, Florence Anna, daughter of Francis S. and Anna Eliza EAYRS, aged 11 mos., 23 days.

12 Mar 1872


    The telegraph of March 4th announces that Mr. J.B. CONDON, agent for Wells, Fargo & Co., at Marysville, Cal., blew his brains out with a shot-gun on Saturday, while in a fit of insanity, superinduced by neuralgia. We are informed that Mr. CONDON was the son of Thos. CONDON, Esq. of this village. - Cart. Dem.

Died. - This morning, about three o'clock A.M., at the residence of Mr. A.W. MATHEWSON, of North Springfield, Mr. Henry HARDING, of typhoid pneumonia. He was about 46 years old, formerly from Cortland county, New York. He was sick only about a week. His medical attendance was the best, and very great credit is due to Mr. and Mrs. MATHEWSON for their kind care and attention. He hoped to recover as long as he had his senses, and made no will. No relative was in attendance. Mr. HARDING came to Missouri some two years ago; and though he leaves no wife and children to mourn his departure, he leaves many warm friends who deeply regret his loss.
The Springfield (Mo.) Times, Feb. 24.

Died. - In Crawford Co., Pa., March 9th, 1872, of puerperal fever, Mrs. Anna Sheerar BEMAN, wife of H.C. BEMAN, aged27 years.
    Mrs. BEMAN was formerly of Virgil, where her people now reside; was married and moved to her Penna. home three years ago.
    She was formerly one of the first students of our Academy, where she met Mr. B., - and in the revival of 1866, in our Presbyterian church, was converted to the faith in her Savior; since which she has been a sincere christian, a loving and devoted wife, a fond mother, and a gem in the large circle of relatives and friends in which she moved, whose absence will leave a great void, but whose lustre shall shine on undimmed forever.
    "A bright star which has set in the morning of life."

26 Mar 1872

Died. WADSWORTH - In Cortland, on the 16th inst., Mrs. Eunice, wife of Archibald WADSWORTH, aged 79 years.

Died. BURR - In Homer, on Thursday, the 14th inst., Andrew BURR, in the 83d year of his age.

Died. BROCKWAY - In Homer, on the 16th inst., Mr. Smith P. BROCKWAY, aged 67 years.

Died. LATHROP - In Homer, on the 14th inst., Mrs. Florence, wife of George LATHROP, aged 25 years and six months.

Died. REED - In Homer, on Sunday, the 17th inst., Mrs. Amanda M. REED, aged 71 years.

2 Apr 1872


    We learn of the death of Parker BUTTERFIELD, at Blodgett's Mills, yesterday.


    The death of Miss Louise DUELL was the result of an attack of what is known as cerebro-spinal meningitis, which is greatly prevalent in some parts of the country. This, we believe, was the first case in this section. From what we have read, it is quite certain to prove fatal unless the disease is kept under control from its inception.


DUELL - On the morning of April 1st, after an illness of four days, Louise C. DUELL, daughter of Hon. R.H. DUELL, aged 24 years and 30 days.
    In her brief life she had made warm and loving friends of all who knew her, while her more intimate friends and relatives had become so attached to her, that this enforced separation wrings their hearts beyond what words can tell. She was warm and strong in her affections, and this, with her many noble qualities, compelled love in return. A life has gone out from our midst that we needed as an example. She was pure, conscientious, affable, refines and intelligent, and living in her daily life, at home or elsewhere, a beautiful religion. Her parents and family may well feel that with them a whole community mourns.

    A Sad Bereavement. - The eldest daughter of the Hon. R.H. DUELL died at the residence of her father in Cortlandville, yesterday, after an illness of only four days, of spotted fever. She was a young lady of fine accomplishments and was universally admired and esteemed by a large circle of friends, who deeply mourn the loss they have sustained. She had many friends and acquaintances in this city, having frequently been a visitor here, who will also be pained by this announcement. The affliction to her father will be particularly severe, as he was unable to reach home before her death, so rapid was the progress of the disease. It is needless to say that the family is plunged into the deepest grief by their sudden bereavement, which the sympathy of many friends cannot assuage. Miss DUELL was twenty-four years of age. Her funeral will be attended on Thursday afternoon, at two o'clock. Syr. Journal.

Died. SPENCER - At the residence of his son-in-law, Wm. BURNHAM, Webster, Mich., March 27, 1872, after a short illness, Michael SPENCER, aged 82 years, 9 months and 3 days.
    Mr. SPENCER was formerly and for many years a resident of this village. His remains were brought here for burial Sunday afternoon. The funeral services were held in the M.E. church, where he had for so many years been a consistent member. A very impressive sermon on the occasion was delivered by the retiring pastor, Rev. J.T. CRIPPEN, from Numbers, 23 ch., 10 ver., last clause of the verse, "Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his."
    Since the death of his wife four years ago, deceased has resided with a daughter at Ovid, until about a year since he went to Michigan, being nearer to three of his daughters and two sons. He was the father of Mr. Jas. L. SPENCER of this place.

Died. BLASHFIELD - In Homer, March 27, after a few hours' illness, of congestion of the brain, Charles Earl, only son of H.W. and L. BLASHFIELD, in the third year of his age.

Died. HULBERT - In Truxton, on Saturday, March 16th, Mehitable, wife of the late Timothy HULBERT, in the 75th years of her age.

Died. LOOMIS - At the residence of her father, Dr. E. LOOMIS, in Homer, on the 19th inst., Miss Ellen LOOMIS, aged 22 years.

Died. VREELAND - In Ithaca, March 22d, C. Day VREELAND, aged 3 years, 9 months, and 19 days.
    The above was the son of Mr. Chas. VREELAND, who has lately become a resident of Cortland.

9 Apr 1872

Died. BENJAMIN - In this village, Friday, April 5, Mr. S.R. BENJAMIN, aged 62 years.
    The deceased was a worthy member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the charge of Vesta Lodge, of Cortland, his remains were taken to Marathon for burial, where they were received by a large number of members of Marathon Lodge, and escorted to the grave, at which the impressive funeral service of the Order was performed.

Died. HUBBARD - In Cortland, April 6, of paralysis, Mrs. Charlotte A. HUBBARD, aged 65 years, mother of Henry B. HUBBARD, of this place.

Died. ROGERS - In Cortland, April 8, of spotted fever, Mr. William ROGERS, aged 70 years.

    The late Wm. RICHARDSON. - The decease of Mr. Wm. RICHARDSON, which was briefly announced in this paper two weeks ago, was an event which seems to call for some further notice. The deceased was personally known to many of our readers, and to those who enjoyed the pleasure of his acquaintance we scarcely need to say that he was a man of rare probity of character, eminently just toward those with whom he was associated, and upright in all his dealings. By his death our village is bereft of one of its most exemplary and highly respected citizens.
    Mr. RICHARDSON was born in Freetown, Cortland county, March 29, 1810. He embarked in trade in the village of Marathon when about 25 years old, and in 1842 was married to Caroline O. HEATON, daughter of Hon. Nathan HEATON, of Harford, N.Y. Removing to Canandaigua in 1845, he engaged in business there, and for many years was prominent among our most enterprising and successful merchants. In 1863 he removed to Geneva, and helped organize and became President of the First National Bank there. After remaining in Geneva about two years he sold his interest in the bank and returned to Canandaigua and re-engaged in trade. In the fall of 1868 he removed from this place to Bloomington, Illinois, where he remained until the spring of 1871, when he returned to Ontario county, and spending the summer on a farm, again resumed business in Canandaigua. While thus engaged in the active work of life, he was attacked with typhoid pneumonia and died on the 28th ult., after an illness of seventeen days. - Ontario County Times.

16 Apr 1872

Died. PECK - In This village, on the 5th inst., Rev. Nathan PECK, aged 83 years.

Died. COMSTOCK - In Marathon, on the 5th inst., James COMSTOCK, aged 63 years.

Died. WELCH - In Homer, on the 5th inst., Mr. Marcus WELCH, aged 76 years.

23 Apr 1872

Died. PIERCE - In South Harford, on the 14th inst., Martin PIERCE, aged 60 years.

Died. HAMMOND - In South Harford, on the 14th inst., of inflammation of the bowels, Duncan HAMMOND, aged 25 years.

Died. RANDALL - Cuyler, Cortland Co., April 9th Mrs. Polly RANDALL, wife of Zebulon C. RANDALL, Esq., in the 66th year of her age.

Died. BROWN - In Summerhill, on the 11th inst., of consumption, Charles A. BROWN, aged 29 years, son of Mrs. Thomas DARBY of this village.


    The age of Rev. Nathan PECK, who died on the 5th inst., was 89 instead of 83 as stated in last week's issue.
30 Apr 1872

Died. BRADFORD - In this village, at the residence of his son-in-law, F.G. KINNEY, on the 27th April, 1872, after a long and painful illness, Leonard J. BRADFORD, of Syracuse, aged 58 years.

Died. HOXIE - At Blodgett's Mills, April 15, Preston A., infant son of William S. and Alice HOXIE, aged 8 months.

Died. PER LEE - In McLean, Tompkins Co., April 13, Eddie, son of Edmund G. and Adelia PER LEE, aged 2 years and 6 months.


Cortland County Deaths 1872 from the

Cortland Standard and Journal

7 May 1872

Died. NEY - In Vernon, Oneida county, April 27, Francis C. NEY, brother of A.S. NEY, Esq., of this place, aged 88 years.

14 May 1872

Died. CREGO - In Hightstown, N.J., on the 23d ult., Kittie, wife of John H. CREGO, and daughter of Francis SEARS, late of Homer.

Died. JOHNSON - In this village, May 1, of heart disease, Clarke M. JOHNSON, aged 75 years.

Died. NILES - At his residence in Preble, April 30, of pneumonia, Hon. George N. NILES, aged 74 years.

Died. BARTLETT - In Perry, N.Y., May 3, Betsy L., wife of John W. BARTLETT, formerly of Homer, aged 54 years.
    Her remains were brought to Homer for interment.

28 May 1872

Died. BONNEY - In Cortlandville, May 22, 1872, Levi BONNEY, in the 73d year of his age.
    Mr. BONNEY has been a resident of the town more than thirty-five years, and won the respect of all who knew him.

Died. - HOTCHKISS - In Cortland, May 7th, of heart disease and paralysis, James J. HOTCHKISS, aged 70 years,1 month and 16 days.
    Mr. HOTCHKISS was born in Woodstock, Conn., and removed to the residence of his death, when only two years old. He was one of the oldest and most respected [illegible]in the county. Leaves a wife and many kind relatives and friends to mourn his loss.

4 Jun 1872

- Mr. John U. SMITH, one of the sufferers at the Fall Creek disaster at Ithaca, died Tuesday evening last.

11 Jun 1872

Died. HALL - In Virgil, May 26th, Gurden HALL, aged 79 years.

Died. BURGHARDT - In Upper Lisle, May 16th, Lizzie, only daughter of Abigail and John BURGHARDT, Jr., aged one year.

Died. ROBINSON - At his residence, in Freetown, on the 30th ult., Charles ROBERTSON, aged 37 years.
    The subject of this notice was an amiable young man, and leaves many friends to mourn their loss. His last sickness, which was protracted for some months, was borne with resignation. During his sickness he sought and found the Savior precious to his soul, and was enabled to say, "Whether I live or die, I am the Lord's."
    The funeral services were held in the M.E. Church, in Freetown, the congregation filling the entire house, while the writer of this notice preached from Rev. 14th,13th. To add to the interest of the occasion, several of the comrades to the deceased, who stood up with him in defense of his country during the late rebellion, were present, sitting in the attitude of sympathy, and sharing in the sorrows of the hour. May this affliction be sanctified to the eternal good of those who mourn.

                                      W.H. BUNNELL.
  Freetown, June 10, 1872.

- Hon. Nathan RANDALL, of Syracuse, once a resident of Homer, and many years ago the editor and proprietor of the Ithaca Journal, died on the 8th of May between San Francisco and Panama.

18 Jun 1872

Died. HOLMES - In Binghamton, on the 11th inst., Addie C., only daughter of William S. and Betsey A. HOLMES, aged 20 years, 3 months and 3 days.

Died. CORWIN - In Middletown, N.Y., on the 8th inst., of typhoid fever, G.L. CORWIN, of Marathon, aged 54 years.

- Adelbert ARNOLD, son of John J. ARNOLD, was killed while discharging his duties as brakeman on the S.B. & N. Y. Railroad, on the 11th inst., at Killawog. The train had stopped, and it is supposed he went between the cars to see if the bumpers were all right, when the train unexpectedly moved, killing him instantly, his head being severed from his body. He was 21 years of age.

25 Jun 1872

    Fatal Accident. - A startling and fatal accident occurred in this village on Sunday evening last. About half past ten o'clock Winfield S. BLANEY, a young man from Homer, was proceeding down Port Watson street to the Camp Meeting in an open buggy. When down within about forty rods of the bridge, two young men were coming from the east racing their horses. BLANEY cried out to them "hold on there," and tried as well as he could in the dark to turn outside of the course of the approaching horsemen. Just as he had partially turned out of the road, one of the racing horses struck his own horse sideways, knocking him down, overturning the buggy and throwing the young man violently over backward to the ground, striking upon his head, breaking his neck and killing him instantly. The horseman went on without paying the least heed to the injury he had committed. The second horseman was overthrown, but followed on after his horse, neither of them stopping to help or inquire what injury their brutal carelessness had inflicted. Constable N.H. HAYNES arrested them yesterday in the south part of this town, who turned out to be Julien and Wilbur F. HICKS. He brought them before John T. PRATT, Justice of the Peace, and an examination was held in the Court House yesterday afternoon.
    Yesterday Dr. T.C. POMEROY, Coroner, empanneled the following jury, and held an inquest at the Messenger House upon the dead body of the young man. Jurers-Thomas KEATOR, Samuel KEATOR, Timothy EDWARDS, Arnold STAFFORD, Henry M. PURDY, D.W.BARNES, John D. SCHERMERHORN, John GREEN, George CONABLE, Victor COWAN, Bruce SMITH, James P. HOTCHKISS. The testimony of Mr. PECK, who saw the accident, and of Dr. HYDE, who examined the body, and others, was taken, and the above facts brought out. The jury adjourned until this morning, when a verdict will be rendered.

2 Jul 1872

Died. EGGLESTON - In Willett, on the 7th ult., Nath. EGGLESTON, aged 84 years and 4 months.

Died. BARKER - In Homer, on the 23d ult., of cerebro spinal meningitis, Freddie Albert, son of L.E. and Mary E. BARKER, aged 3 years, 6 months and 19 days.

Died. WATROUS - On the 17th ult., Willie L., son of Cary and Lovina WATROUS, aged 6 years, 1 month and 11 days.

    "God forbids his longer stay,
      God recalls the precious loan,
    God hath taken him away
      From my bosom to His own."

    Sudden Death. - Arnold STAFFORD, one of the Trustees of this village, and a well known and respected citizen, died very suddenly on Thursday afternoon last. He had been called as a witness on the preliminary examination of the HICKS boys for running over and killing Winfield S. BLANEY, which had been adjourned over to Thursday forenoon, in the Court House, and when about completing his testimony felt so unwell that he asked to be excused from waiting to sign his deposition, and started to leave the Court Room. At the door he felt so much worse that he asked the assistance of officer HAYNES to help him down the stairs. In the Hall he sat down and asked for a doctor. Dr. POMEROY was up in the Court Room, and was quickly called down. But before he reached Mr. STAFFORD, he was dead. Mr. S. has not been well for some months, and has suffered, we are informed, from rheumatism, which very likely had reached his heart.

    The Fatal Accident. - The examination into the cause of the death of Winfield S. BLANEY, which we reported in the Standard and Journal last week, was continued before Coroner POMEROY on Tuesday last. Juline HICKS, one of the parties to the accident, was examined, and gave the following testimony:
    I live in this town; I am 18 years old. I was at the camp ground in Salisbury's woods last Sunday; Wilbur HICKS went with me; started from home together on horseback; horses were light bay; had no saddle on; left home about six o'clock in the afternoon; had been to meeting all day; to Methodist meeting; went directly to the ground, and did not get off our horses till we got there; horses had blankets on; no saddle; started home a little after 10 in the evening; after the preaching was over; I went and got my horse and Wilbur HICKS came with me; some of the time horses walked and some of the time trotted down the hill; we trotted till we got to Port Watson bridge; I on one horse and he on the other; we trotted after we got off the bridge a little way towards Cortland; there was four or five fellows on the side of the road; acted as if they were scuffling; they hallowed and my horse jumped and struck his horse; they hallowed "get up!" It was 10 or 12 rods this side of the bridge; my horse is eight years old; jumped against his horse; horse was feeling pretty good; horse had blinds on; is not tough bitted; has run away with me before; I could stop my horse if I had time anywhere; she jumped against the other horse; I went ahead a little ways and I held my horse up and Wilbur went ahead of me; I saw the grey horse [illegible] about a rod ahead of me; horse [illegible] as in the way so I could not see him; I could not tell the position of the carriage when I came in collision with it; I suppose I run against the wagon and went over it; the horse had not run but a little ways when he went against the buggy; (cap shown witness) witness says: that is my cap; I run on after my horse; horse had run 15 or 20 rods when I found it; Wilbur stopped and caught my horse; we went quietly home and put out our horses; by the time I got up some one raised a man up and said that there was a man hurt; when my horse struck the wagon he was running pretty fast; when my horse struck the wagon he was running pretty fast; my horse run against his horse and run ahead; we cried "Whoa" to our horses; did not stop to inquire who was hurt, or how bad he was hurt; horse took fright coming down the hill, but did not get frightened going to camp meeting; we tried to speed the horses going to camp ground; I passed a buggy with a lady and a gentleman in it that seemed a good deal frightened; passed a Democrat wagon just before the collision containing women and children; were going quite fast when we passed the Democrat wagon; did not strike into a gallop till after we crossed the bridge; I told Wilbur to trot along and get ahead of the folks and out of the dust; I had a whip; I struck my horse with the whip after I crossed the bridge; I think I daid say "get up" and at that the horse went faster and before I got where the collision took place the horse run; I did not calculate to run; I knew it was dangerous to ride so; I was on the left side of the road when I came up to the wagon; when I hit the buggy it was in about the center of the road; think it was on south side of the track; horse was running pretty fast when I came to the buggy; I have known for years that it was dangerous to ride fast in the dark; don't know but the horses did run a little after the collision coming towards Cortland; I did not tell my mother or any one else what had happened after I got home.
    Wilbur HICKS was also sworn, but as his testimony agrees in substance with that of the last witness, it is deemed unnecessary to publish it.
[Coroner's jury finding:]
Winfield S. BLANEY came to his death by injuries inflicted by the reckless and unlawful racing of horses by Wilbur and Juline HICKS.

16 Jul 1872

Died. CRANDALL - In this village, on the 23d ult., of spotted fever, Mr. DeRonda N. CRANDALL, aged 47 years.

23 Jul 1872

Died. BOLAND - In Boston, on the 20th ult., Jullia, wife of Thomas BOLAND, aged 43 years.
    Mrs. BOLAND was born in the town of Homer, N.Y., and was the eldest daughter of Mr. David COREY, still a resident of that place.

30 Jul 1872

Died. BRIDGEMAN - On the 24th inst., after a brief illness, Rev. P.G. BRIDGEMAN, aged 68 years.
    He was a superannuated member of the Wyoming Annual Conference of the M.E. Church, and had lived here for many years. His funeral was attended from the house on Friday, the 26th. Sermon by Rev. A. ROE.

- Hon. A.W. RANDALL, ex-Post Master General, died in Elmira one day last week.

6 Aug 1872

Died. HOLMES - At McGrawville, June 26th, 1872, Alodyne M., wife of J.R. HOLMES, aged 47 years.

Died. FISH - In Cincinnatus, on the 23d ult., suddenly, of heart disease, Esther E., wife of John D. FISH, aged 46 years, 4 months and 16 days.

Died. VAN RENSSELAER - In this village, on the 21st ult., Emily, wife of John VAN RENSSELAER, aged 60 years.

Died. SALISBURY - In this village, on the 29th ult., Benjamin SALISBURY, aged 77 years.

Died. SMITH - In this village, on the 31st ult., after a short illness, Mary E.B., wife of Hon. A.P. SMITH, in the 36th year of her age.

In Memoriam.

Died, at Cortland Village, N.Y., on the 31st ult., Mary E.B. SMITH, wife of Hon. A. P. SMITH, aged 36 years.
    The deceased was of a frail and delicate constitution, and for years has been in feeble health and subject to nervous attacks. One week ago last Thursday she was taken ill, and on the Monday following it was discovered that the disease might prove fatal. She soon became insensible and remained so up to the time of her death. On Wednesday, at 11 o'clock A.M., her spirit took its flight, and on Friday all that was mortal of Mary E.B. SMITH was consigned to the tomb. The funeral services took place at the house and were conducted at the grave August 2d, at 2 P.M. A large assemblage of relatives and friends gathered to shed a sympathetic tear for the departed. As a tribute of respect, the members of the bar residing at Cortland Village attended the funeral and preceeded the relatives to the grave.
    The deceased was a daughter of Dr. Horace BRONSON, of Virgil, one of the oldest and most prominent physicians of the county. About sixteen years ago, the deceased moved into this village with her husband. She soon won the esteem and friendship of all with whom she became acquainted. A large circle of relatives and friends mourn her untimely loss. Mrs. SMITH was a most loveable character, and was always bright and cheerful. She confined a charitable and kindly disposition, ever disposed to extenuate and forgive, to condone offenses with pity. Mrs. SMITH was a student of nature, devoting much of her time to the study of Geology, and in the selection and preparation of her cabinet, in which she took great pleasure, and it was with pride that she exhibited it to her visitors.
    By the sudden visitation of Providence and the violent nature of the attack, the afflicted husband was unable to consult with the dying wife or ascertain her desires as to the future care of her minor children, for she had no notice of the hour allotted for her departure before she became insensible and unable to recognize her own family.
    Disease, in obedience to the mandate of a Power which none may dispute, relinquishes its cruel and revengeful grasp, and the racked body is at rest. The generous heart that throbbed with the noblest impulse is stilled, and the spirit has taken its flight to the infinite realms, where we may confidently hope it will receive the reward of a pure and blameless life. We extend our sympathy to the afflicted husband and the motherless children.

- Wm. W. SNYDER, near Ellis Hollow, in Dryden, committed suicide by hanging on Monday, July 29th. Mr. SNYDER was among the most influential and respected citizens in the town. He was holding the office of County Superintendent of the Poor at the time of his death - being his third term in the office. He was born and reared in Dryden, and had lived forty-six years beloved and respected by all who knew him. He was one of the most upright and rigidly honest men that ever lived, and no amount of coaxing, flattery or intimidation could prevail upon him to do a mean action. He was remarkable even among honest men for his chivalric and punctilious sense of honor.
    The writer of this has known him long and well and was shocked and grieved to learn of this startling act and melancholy end. He had a paralytic shock in April, from which it was not expected he could recover. But he did gain a fair degree of physical strength, but his mind was impaired. He imagined he was no longer useful in life and sometimes remarked that it might be better if he were out of the way. Still he was not in a condition to lead to apprehension. During the absence of his wife in Ithaca, on Monday forenoon, of last week, he went to the barn, ostensibly on some legitimate excuse of work made to his daughter and then perpetrated the terrible rash act. The Ithaca Daily Journal gives this account of the tragedy: "It appears the unfortunate man had taken the tie strap from a halter, and with a deliberation wonderful to relate had replaced it by buckling another in its place, which was not so suitable for the terrible work in hand. He then must have climbed up by a ladder to the floor above the horse stable, thence to the scaffolding extending over the barn floor, and raising one of the loose boards, fastened the small end of the halter, having previously passed the strap though the loop at the large end, thus forming a noose for the neck. All being in readiness, he tipped the board back in its place, thrust his head through the noose, and sprang towards the floor. The strap being large and stiff, it did not "render" at once, and the poor victim was left to meet death through the terrible agonies of strangulation. The struggle must have been terrible, his neck and ear being lacerated by his agonized writhings before death mercifully came.

13 Aug 1872

Died. MORE - In Marathon, on the 4th inst., Mr. George F. MORE, aged 48 years.
    Post mortem revealed a cancer of the stomach.

Died. OWEN - In Freetown, on the 3d inst., Mr. Wm. A. OWEN, aged 59 years.

Died. HOPKINS - In Lapeer, on the 1st inst., Mrs. Sarah HOPKINS, aged 88 years and 9 months.

Died. ATWOOD - At Killawog, on the 28th ult., Mrs. Lucy ATWOOD, aged 82 years.

Died. SHEVALIER - In Marathon, June 29, 1872, of spotted fever, Clara, daughter of Nicholas and Adelia A. SHEVALIER, aged 11 years and 8 months.

20 Aug 1872

Died. CASE - In McGrawville, N.Y., on the 9th inst., William CASE, aged 87 years.

Died. KELLY, - In Cortland, at the residence of her son-in-law, on the 8th inst., Bridget, wife of Patrick KELLY, aged 60 years.

27 Aug 1872

Died. SMITH - In Marathon, on the 19th inst., Charles E., only child of Linus A. and Hattie J. SMITH, aged 13 months and 13 days.

Died. HALL - In Marathon, on the 18th inst., Mr. Ethan HALL, aged 24 years.

Died. WHEATON - In Killawog, on the 18th inst., Mr. Erastus WHEATON, aged 65 years.

- Mr. John M.ROE, Esq., an old and valued citizen of Marathon, died suddenly Saturday morning last, 24th inst. He was a brother of Elder ROE, of Cortland.


3 Sep 1872

Died. ROBINSON - At Montieola Vineyards, Southern Illinois, on the 13th ult., of consumption, Stella ROBINSON, daughter of N. and M.E. ROBINSON, of Virgil, N.Y., aged 22 years.
    Miss ROBINSON will be remembered by the readers of the Standard as a contributor to its columns of several very beautiful productions, over the signature of Neil SOULE, which won for her many warm encomiums. She was for a period of years one of the most successful teachers in Cortland county, and in 1870 emigrated with her parents to southern Illinois, where she taught with equal success. She was beautiful and accomplished, and as good as she was beautiful. She was a loved and loving daughter, and yielded up her young life in her parents' arms, with a smile and tear for all she left behind, and in the full hope of a blessed immortality, peacefully passed to the beautiful Summer Land.
    Away upon one of the most beautiful and breezy summits of the Ozarks, among her favorite trees and flowers, she sleeps, - a cypress mantled cross marks her resting-place, and the feathery acacia waves its white plumes near. How beautifully she has given our own heats' language:

  "Slumber on, while o'er thy dreamless rest
  Blue skies and golden sunshine bend and smile,
  While roses bloom and bright birds sing for thee.
  And we will watch, when in far off west
  The golden gates of glory stand ajar,
  To catch the gleam, the flashing, when thy hand
  Thou'lt wave to beckon us to heaven and thee."

Died. BENNETT - In Homer, on the 25th ult., Edward L., son of A.H. BENNETT, aged 7 months and 22 days.

Died. BENEDICT - In Cortland, on the 31st ult., Florence Anna, only child of H.A. BENEDICT, Esq., about eleven months old.

10 Sep 1872

Died. MILLER - In this village, on the 2d inst., Jacob G. MILLER, aged 90 years.

Died. ROOKS - In this village, Sept. 6th, Wm. ROOKS, Jr. of Typhoid Fever, aged 49 years.

Died. STORY - In Cortland, on the 4th inst., Cory L., infant daughter of Thomas C. and Mary C. STORY, aged three weeks and one day.

  "This lovely bud, so young and fair,
    Called hence by early doom,
  Just came to show how sweet a flower
    In Paradise would bloom."

17 Sep 1872

Died. BROWN - In Arcade, Wyoming Co., N.Y., on the 1st inst., Mrs. Lucy BROWN in her 83d year.

Died. METZGER - In Homer, on the 8th inst., Carrie Beeman, daughter of J. METZGER, aged 3 months.

Died. ARNOLD - In East Homer, on the 1st inst., James ARNOLD, aged 74 years.

Died. HILL - In Camden, Ohio, on the 24th ult., of consumption, Mr. Ira G. HILL, aged 23 years.

Died. SIMONS - In Cortland, on the 1st inst., Addie Mable, infant daughter of Dr. A.D. and Libbie SIMONS, aged 5 months.

Died. TORRY - In Freetown, May 27th, Mrs. Susan TORRY, aged 77 years and 4 months.

24 Sep 1872

Died. COGGSHALL - In Killawog, on the 27th ult., Harry, only child of Mr. and Mrs. William B. COGGSHALL, aged 10 months.

Died. BROOKS - In Cortland, on the 28th ult., Adah BROOKS, in her 88th year.

Died. LEWIS - In Marathon, on the 13th inst., Mrs. Emmeline LEWIS, aged 65 years.

Died. HILL - In Taylor, on the 17th inst., of heart disease, Delight, wife of Jefferson O. HILL, aged 41 years.

Died. ANDREWS - In Homer, on the 15th inst., Mrs. Violet A., wife of Wm. ANDREWS, Esq., aged 74 years.
    A loving wife, an affectionate mother, and a kind neighbor has gone from the communion of the Baptist Church to her final rest. Her death terminated a married life of 53 years.

Died. ROBINSON - In Makanda, Jackson Co., Ill., on the 30th ult., Mrs. Mary ROBINSON, widow of Dr. E.H. ROBINSON, late of Virgil, Cortland Co., N.Y., in the 77th year of her age.
    The deceased made public confession of her faith in Christ more than fifty years since, which she adorned with a quiet and peaceable life, eminently demonstrating the excellency of that charity which seeketh not her own, heareth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things, being very forbearing in her intercourse with those around her. She discharged the duties of wife and mother with fidelity, and has left children and other friends who sincerely mourn her loss.

Died. HALL - In Cortland, on Thursday, the 19th inst., Alonzo HALL, aged 50 years.

- Harvey WEBSTER, of Troupsburgh, Steuben Co., was run over by the 1:40 P.M. train, while attempting to cross the R.R. bridge over the Tioughnioga river, in the north part of this village, yesterday, and so badly injured that he died in an hour. He has a brother living in Truxton, in this County, and another living in Marathon. He was about 22 years of age.

1 Oct 1872

Died. DAILY - In Homer, at the residence of his son-in-law, Daniel KINNEY, on the 18th ult., Mr. Samuel DAILY aged 72 years.

Died. RINGE - In Cortland, on the 25th ult., Mrs. Alice Ann RINGE, widow of the late Samuel I. RINGE, and mother of Mrs. J. Delos CLARKE, of this village, aged 79 years.

Died. HATHWAY - In this village, on the 30th ult., Lizzie V., only child of J.R. and L. V. HATHWAY, aged one years, six months and nine days.
    Funeral at the house, Wednesday, 11 A.M.

Died. BLODGETT - On the 24th ult., Deacon Franklin B. BLODGETT, of this village, in his seventy-fifth year.
    Deacon BLODGETT was the oldest settler in town. Born in the town of Western (now Warren), Mass., Jan. 21, 1798, he came to this town in 1805. From that time to the day of his death, he resided upon the same farm. Careful, consistent and constant in all the relations of life, he gathered about him a large circle of confiding friends. In the year 1832 he united with the Presbyterian Church in this village, in which he has been an office-bearer for more than 37 years. During the early years of pioneer life poverty and privation pressed heavily upon him; but at length his patient toil was repaid with competence, and even affluence, in the possession of this life, while for the life to come he had secured untold treasures of faith and good works. In these days it is seldom that we meet a man possessed of so much of mental and moral worth; when we die, it is well that we stop a little to recount and imitate his excellencies.

8 Oct 1872

Died. GARRISON - In this village, on the 17th ult., Charles Henry, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. L.D. GARRISON, aged seven weeks and two days.

Died. CAPRON - In Homer, on the 26th ult., Mrs. Giles B. CAPRON, aged 62 1/2 years.
    Mr. C. was one of our staid, substantial and respected citizens. His death is a loss to the community. - Rep.

Died. FISH - In this village, on the 5th inst., James R. FISH, aged 20 years, son of E.A. FISH, Esq., of this village, of neuralgia of the heart.

15 Oct 1872

Died. WICKWIRE - In this village, on the 14th inst., Chauncey J. WICKWIRE, aged 27 years.
    Funeral at his home, Thursday, Oct. 17th, at 10 A.M.

Died. SNIDER - In this village, on the 1st inst., Mrs. Helen M. SNIDER, wife of Charles P. SNIDER, aged 26 years.

Died. LUCAS - In Meridian, Cayuga Co., N.Y., on the 6th inst., John McQueene, only son of Rev. Wallace B. and Mary J. LUCAS, aged two years, six months and ten days.

    "By Thy hands the boon was given,
      Thous hast taken but Thine own;
    Lord of earth, and God of heaven,
      Evermore Thy will be done!"

Died. - At Truxton, Oct. 2d, 1872, Mrs. Emily E., wife of Austin D. POMEROY, Esq. aged 54 years. She was an only sister of our neighbors, Jerome and George A. HULBERT, the oldest member of the family, ever faithful and devoted, whose absence is sadly realized by the domestic and social circle. Thus an affectionate brother, a beloved mother, and endeared sister have all departed from the family fireside within the past fourteen months. - Marathon Independent.

22 Oct 1872

Died. DARBY - In Laurel, Maryland, on the 29th ult., Lydia, wife of Joseph DARBY, aged 50 years and 8 months. Formerly of Cortland.

Died. JOHNSON - In Freetown, on the 29th ult., Freddie, infant son of Charles R. and Emma J. JOHNSON, aged 3 months and 21 days.

Died. ROSE - At Killawog, on the 7th inst., Mrs. Statira ROSE, aged 89 years, 6 months and 10 days.

- As a mark of respect to the memory and character of Chauncey J. WICKWIRE, whose funeral took place on Thursday last, the business men of our village signed a paper, agreeing to close their respective places of business during the time of the funeral. The firemen, of whose organization he was a member, attended his funeral in a body. He was among the most upright and highly respected of our young men.

29 Oct 1872

Died. WALLACE - In Cortland, on the 18th inst., Mr. Lyman WALLACE, aged 60 years.

Died - O'LEARY - In this village, on the 17th inst., Katie O'LEARY, aged 14 years, 6 months and 7 days.

Died. ROWER - In McGrawville, on the 23d inst., Charles E. ROWE, aged 40 years.

Died. VAN ARSDALE - In this village, on the 10th inst., of typhoid fever, Lemuel, youngest son of Leonard and Jemima VAN ARSDALE, in his 17th year.

Died. SHEERAR - In Cortland, N.Y., on the 12th inst., Earl, son of Benjamin SHEERAR, aged two years.
    Another cherished form has been rudely snatched from once a happy family circle. A fragrant bud - too frail - too fragile for this cold, cold world - has passed from us away. - from earthly arms - to be entwined by those of a saintly mother, who left but a short time since, and who now stands ready, waiting at the open portal gates.
    Although it may seem hard to be thus left, still remember 'tis not as we will, God ordains. This world is not all our own. He takes away our dearest ones to adorn His great white throne.

                                          Buda, Ills.

5 Nov 1872

Died. CLARK - In Lapeer, on the 21st ult., Miss Florence CLARK, aged 24 years.

Died. PHELPS - In Killawog, on the 19th ult., Mrs. Annie PHELPS, aged 21 years.

Died. WILLIAMS - In Syracuse, on the 21st ult., Harriet M. WILLIAMS, daughter of the late Henry WILLIAMS, Esq., of Killawog, aged 31 years.

Died. BOWEN - In Homer, on the 28th ult., Orin BOWEN, in the 74th year of his age.

Died. GILLIS - In Homer, on the 24th ult., at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr. John PATTEN, Joseph GILLIS, aged 80 years.

Died. GALLIGHER - At his residence, in this town, Andrew GALLIGHER, after a short illness, aged 73 years.

Died. PALMER - In this village, on the 3d inst., Mrs. Margaret Alice, wife of Irving H. PALMER, Esq.
    Mrs. PALMER was born August 10, 1845. Her home has always been in Cortland. In 1864, she graduated with honor from the Cortlandville Academy. In the fall of that year she commenced teaching in the school from which she had graduated. She taught with very marked acceptability and success in the Academy until the Normal School was begun, March 3, 1869. She then was placed in charge of one of the most responsible departments in that school. She discharged her duties with marked ability for one year. February 17, 1870, she was married to Mr. Irving H. PALMER, of Cortland. Mr. PALMER is a lawyer by profession, and enjoys the confidence, both as a man and as a lawyer, of all who know him.
    A few months since, Mr. PALMER moved into the house of his father-in-law,, Mr. R.H. HUNTER, on Elm street. Here Mrs. PALMER, the loving wife and the affectionate daughter, administered consolation and love to her recently bereaved father and to her home. She was the idol of her father, and the pride of her now stricken and sorrowing husband.
    Mrs. PALMER was taken ill of confinement Oct. 27th - she became exhausted from continued suffering, and her frail body gave up the spirit to the God who gave it. Her only sister, who lives in the west, arrived on a special train from Syracuse early on Nov. 3d. It was the hope of Mrs. PALMER that she might see her beloved sister before she died. Her wish was gratified.
    Mrs. PALMER was a person of earnest piety, having long been a member of the Baptist Church. She died as she had lived, a loving, trusting, faithful spirit. God's kingdom is made the richer by her presence therein - earth is more desolate. Her near and dear relatives, her large circle of friends - to know her was to be her friend - will all miss her. Her former pupils and associate teachers will lose her kind words, her uniform cheerfulness, her warm sympathy. She appeared to be aware for some days that she should die - she disposed of some of her effects, and gave detailed directions concerning her funeral. She did all this as only the Christian can - with the calm assurance of one going home to heaven - of one whose work is accomplished.
    Her quiet and calm bearing, and her complete self-possession during all her hours of suffering, were most remarkable - no word or act that was not of unselfishness and tender regard for others.
    Her prominent traits of character were piety and unselfishness - these were he strength in her Christian life.


    Charity, wife of Peter McVEAN, died of cancer, at Blodgett's Mills, Cortland Co., N.Y., on the 3d ult., aged 74 years.
    Sister McVEAN embraced religion in early life, and maintained her fidelity to Christ till God called her home in heaven. She was a good wife - cheerful and affectionate, faithful to her trust, and safe in her counsel. She was a very kind mother - ready and willing to do all in her power to secure the best interests of her children. As a christian and neighbor, she was the embodiment of charity, as illustrated in the 13th chapter of first Corinthians. Her spirit and words were always seasoned with grace to all, as the writer and others can testify. She loved the Lord and His word, and found it good to draw near to Him in prayer and confide in His promises; and after she became very weak, she requested the friends to sing and pray, saying, "It will not harm me, but do me good." She increased in religious interest till her strength failed. She was a great sufferer, but the grace of God was sufficient for her trial, and patience and resignation triumphed, her peace increased, and her hope did not make her ashamed. Praise the Lord! Peace to her memory! - and in heartfelt sympathy for her bereaved husband and afflicted children and relatives, we pray that Divine grace may lead them to set their affections on things above, that they may all meet their loved one at God's right hand, to enjoy the fullness of grace and glory forever.
    Brother ROWE, pastor of the church of her choice, preached a very impressive discourse to a large congregation of friends and relatives, from those very appropriate words - "If a man die, shall he live again?"        J. NASON

In memoriam.

    At a special meeting of the Board of Trustees of McGrawville Union School, held on Thursday, Oct. 24th, 1872, Dr. H.C. HENDRICK offered the following resolutions, which were unanimously adopted:
    Whereas, it has pleased God, in His providence, though inscrutable to us, yet who in his wisdom doeth all things well, to remove by death from us one of our number, Charles E. ROWE, and from his stewardship here to his reward; therefore,
    Resolved, That in his death the Board of Trustees of McGrawville Union School, as also in its antecedent form as N.Y. Central Academy, has lost a member who has been recognized as one of its most efficient and self-sacrificing workers in the interests of the Institution, of which he was an original, and has been a continuous Trustee for the last eight years, and the cause of education an earnest and liberal supporter,
    Resolved, That as members of the Board of Education, and speaking for the community in which he resided, we deeply feel the loss we sustain in being deprived of his counsel and aid as an associate as well as that of the kind neighbor, the upright citizen, the earnest advocate and liberal contributor to whatever could advance public and general improvements [etc.]
17 Nov 1872

Died. O'CONNELL - In Messengerville, on the 14th ult., Mr. Thomas O'CONNELL, aged 85 years.

Died. CARLEY - In Marathon, on the 5th ult., Sally, wife of Hon. Alanson CARLEY, aged 73 years.

Died. STROBECK - In this village, on the 4th inst., Frank C. STROBECK, aged 23 years.

In Memoriam.

    Died, at the house of her father, Mr. Stephen BREWER, Esq., in this village, on Thursday, the 7th inst., Minnie A., wife of Capt. John T. PRATT, aged 22 years.
    Such abundant treasures of intellectual, social and moral worth are seldom developed in one so young. Even in early childhood, so decided were these qualities as to make her the acknowledged center of attraction and influence; while in youth and early womanhood they constituted her the assuming pattern and patron of virtue and excellence.
    Soon after her fifteenth birthday, she came to feel and believe that all real goodness and virtue are centered in God alone, and must flow from Him to every human heart, ere it can become the abode of pure and holy emotions and aspirations. Penitently and trustingly she sought and found a full supply from that ever flowing fountain of divine compassion. Soon after she made a public confession of her faith by uniting with the Presbyterian Church in this village, of which she continued to the last, a most earnest, faithful member.
    As a teacher in the Sabbath School, especially in the infant department, her benignant influence was felt and appreciated. With heart and hand and voice she guided their young feet along the pleasant pathway to Him who said, "Suffer little children to come unto Me." With a heart glowing with sympathy for every human sufferer, and a versatility of talent, adapting her to meet and master every emergency, she was ready to espouse, and efficient to promote every enterprise of benevolence.
    As if conscious that her time for labor would be brief, she rested not til summoned by the death angel to her final rest. Peacefully and happily she rests from her labors, and "her works do follow her." Precious and sacred memories, more worthy monuments than those of brass or marble, will ever linger in saddened, sympathizing hearts, softened and sanctified by her benignant influence. Sweet is the savor of her life, pure and perpetual the halo resting there.
    Cortland, Nov. 11, 1872.
19 Nov 1872

In Memoriam.

    On behalf of Post Grover 98 Grand Army of the Republic, the committee appointed upon a unanimous motion, at the regular meeting, November 7th, last, have the honor to report the following preamble and resolution
    Whereas, God has removed from the companionship of our afflicted comrade and away from earthly association of her bereaved parents and friends, Mrs. Minnie A., wife of Captain John T. PRATT, it is deemed proper and just, that both from the gratitude due to the memory of Mrs. PRATT, for the interest and assistance manifested and rendered by her in and to the Post and its members with our respected comrade his sudden and severe affliction. Therefore to
    Resolve, That Post Grover No. 98, do attend in a body the funeral of our comrade's wife and its friend and helper [etc]

    The following resolutions were adopted, Friday evening, November 8th, at a regular meeting of Lincoln Lodge, No. 119, I.O.G.T.
    Whereas, Death has removed from our midst Sister Minnie A. Pratt. Therefore,
    Resolved, That in her death we have lost a firm and consistent member of our Order, and the cause of temperance a faithful and earnest worker. [etc]

    At a regular meeting of Vesta Lodge, No. 255, I.O.O.F., held Monday evening, November 11, 1871 [sic], the following resolutions were unanimously adopted:
    Whereas it has pleased Divine Providence to afflict our brother John T. PRATT, by the removal by death of his beloved companion.
    Resolved, That in the decease of Mrs. PRATT, not only has her family been afflicted but we, as a Lodge, and the community have suffered an irreparable loss. [etc.]

Died. PATTEN - In East Virgil, on the 9th inst., Caroline, daughter of Wm. and Nancy PATTEN, aged 40 years.

26 Nov 1872

Died. BELCHER In this village, on the 15th inst., Lura Jane BELCHER, of typhoid fever, aged 12 years, 3 months and 3 days.

Obituary. - Died, in this village, on the 14th inst., Matilda Tuttle, wife of Jedediah BARBER, aged [80?] years.
    Few women have been so widely known in this vicinity as Mrs. BARBER. Although domestic in her habits, she had an energy of purpose, a firmness of determination, and a positiveness of character which made her influence extensively felt. A devoted wife and a fond mother, she still took a deep interest in all that pertained to the material, intellectual and moral improvement of our town and village. The temperance cause received her hearty support. Our Academy never had a truer friend.
    She was among the [188?] who united with the Congregational Church in 1813, during the pastorate of Rev. E. WALKER, and walked in its fellowship until her death.
    She was married to Mr. BARBER in 1809, thus affording the rare circumstance of a wedded life of nearly sixty-four years.
    She leaves two daughter and two sons; quite a number of grandchildren, and several of the next generation. Her funeral was very largely attended from her late residence, last Friday afternoon. Sermon by her pastor, Rev. W.A. ROBINSON, upon the words, Gal. iv., 26: "But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.: - Homer Republican.

3 Dec 1872

Died. CULVER - In Harford, on the 15th ult., Hattie E. CULVER, eldest daughter of Miles CILVER, Dea., aged 19 years.
    Not only an excellent scholar for one of her years, but a successful and much-loved teacher. She has passed from our midst, yet her influence will long linger with us. Lovely in life, in death lamented.

Died. JOHNSON - In Dryden, on the 27th ult., at the mature age of 80 years, Eli JOHNSON.
    One of the first settlers of the town of Virgil; spending the strength of his best years in agricultural pursuits, aiding in the improvement of the town, and rejoicing in its prosperity. Mr. JOHNSON belonged to the generation which is rapidly passing away.
    Blessed be the memory of our fathers and mothers.

Died. BLODGETT - At midnight, Dec. 1st, Frank M. BLODGETT, aged 22 years.

CONLEY - In Groton, N.Y., November 20th, Mr. J.H. CONLEY, aged 22 years.

In memoriam.

    April 11, 1871, was enrolled upon the Normal roll the name of John N. CONLEY. For a little more than a year and a half he moved among us as a fellow student with kindred aims and hopes, and fears, kind and obliging; as a scholar conscientious, earnest and faithful.
    About four weeks ago he left us to seek a new field of labor during the coming winter, and now the dark shadow of the death angel rests upon the broken home circle and the place he was wont to occupy among us. We can scarcely make this event seem real, and near to us whose whole school life is made up of changes, new faces constantly appearing, moving a few months by our side and then leaving to engage in other work - fulfill other duties. We regret the loss of their companionship, but our sorrow is checked by the hope that the future may still hold for us other greetings from the friends who have left us. Like one of those seems him whom we mourn to-day.
    When we see the rigid form robed for its last repose and witness the tears and suffering of stricken parents grieving so deeply for an only son, who might have been to them support and strength in time of weakness and age, 'tis then our hearts are filled with bitterest grief. Death in infancy seems so sad a thing - death in old age almost a necessity - but, in the prime of young manhood, it assumes its saddest, bitterest guise; filling the heart with complainings and questionings why this "Reaper whose name is Death" must garner from fields so rich in promise, but to our finite reasonings, seeming to need the warmth and dews of many an added summer to perfect a ripe fulfillment. But complainings, questions, reasonings, are all valueless here. We must feel with keen sorrow that one of our numbers has gone, never to return, but let us only ask faith that "He doeth all things well;" only apply our reason to the lesson which the Providence has intended to teach.
10 Dec 1872

Died. SHERWOOD - In Marathon, on the 23d ult., Mrs. Abbie E., wife of Mr. S.D. SHERWOOD, aged 36 years.

Died. SCHERMERHORN - In Cortland, Saturday, Dec. 7th, Mrs. Ann, wife of John D. SCHERMERHORN, aged 37 years.

Died. CORNWELL - In Cortland, Dec. 8th, of paralysis, Mrs. Lydia CORNWELL, aged 76 years.

17 Dec 1872

Died. BRINK - In Marathon, on the 5th inst., Theodosia F. wife of Charles G. BRINK, aged 31 years.

In Memoriam.

    At a regular meeting of the Philharmonic Society, held November 13, 1872, a committee was chosen to draft the sentiments expressive of the feelings of the society in consequence of the death of Mrs. Minnie B. PRATT - one of their efficient and most active members. [sentiments follow]
24 Dec 1872

Died. BLODGETT - At the home of his father, in Cortland, on the 1st inst., of typhoid fever, Frank M., last son of Hiram and Mariva BLODGETT, aged 23 years and 26 days.
    Scarcely could death have selected from the young one more respected, of whose loss will be more deeply felt, than the subject of this notice.
    And this universal confidence and esteem Frank had won for himself. In his short business career he had proved himself competent and scrupulously honest. In his social relations, a safe and gentlemanly associate. From boyhood he had been constantly connected with the Baptist Sunday School, and for nearly two years a consistent, faithful member of the church. But specially sad and afflictive does this Providence come to the immediate family. Less than thirteen months before, they were bereft of a younger son and brother, and no little part did Frank perform to comfort and support those stricken with himself. But now they mourn without his sympathy over this fresh and sorer loss, being the last son and brother.
    He was hopeful of recovery till within a few hours of his death, yet received the assurance of his physician that he could not survive, with that calmness and composure of one whose hope and trust was well placed in a crucified and risen Savior. And when past recognizing friends, and all consciousness, of other things, he joined heartily in singing
       "In the Christian's home in glory."
And soon passed away to its eternal realities.

31 Dec 1872

Died. BULMAN - In Cortland, on the 25th inst., Calista BULMAN, aged 20 years.

Died. OSGOOD - At Cincinnatus, N.Y., on the 28th ult., Mrs. Oliver Grosvenor OSGOOD, aged 88. Also three weeks later, on the 19th inst., Mr. John OSGOOD, aged 90.
    They were born in Abbington, Windham Co., Ct. and were each the last survivors of large families, attended the same school and church through childhood, and were married in 1808, living together in this relation 64 years.
    In 1817, after brief residences in Troy and Sherburne, N.Y., they removed to Cincinnatus. Here, having shared the varied experiences of the community from near the beginning in the native wilderness, they were gathered to their fathers in a good old age, leaving to their children a comforting hope that they sleep the sleep of the just, and that their lives, running always together here, shall go on together in the spirit world.

Died. HAMMOND - In Virgil, N.Y., Oct. 17th, Mr. Thomas HAMMOND, aged 62.
    Well do I remember the last 'good-by" spoken [ ] his kind and sincere wishes for my welfare. Marked I then his faltering footsteps, his wasting strength, and feared that Death had fixed his firm, cold grasp upon him, and that it could not be shaken off. He, too, realized his end was near. Indeed, our fears were too true - too soon, it seems they came to pass. That sincere welcome, that kind greeting of his, we all shall miss. A true and loving husband and affectionate father has gone. Although a fond mother and wife is left to welcome the children home, relatives and friends when they may come, still there is a void in the family circle which cannot be filled. All must feel it who enter therein. Upright and conscientious in all his dealings, the community has lost a respected citizen, kind generous and forbearing. Indeed, it might truly be said, too much so. Though it may seem hard, remember what is our loss is his eternal gain.

  Buda, Ill, Dec. 23.

Died. SHEERAR - In Virgil, N.Y., Oct. 18th, Frances, wife of Harmon SHEERAR, aged 22.
    Since leaving our eastern home, many sad accounts, time and time again, have reached us, of friends passed on before, through the valley to the opposite shore. Still none more than this. A little over two brief years of married life, unbroken, unruffled by harsh and jarring words, was she permitted to spend with one to whom she had plighted her troth in early childhood. Together, almost as it were, they grew up, and finally taken upon themselves the responsibilities of man and wife, were performing their duties faithfully when Death - who is no respecter of persons - enters in and takes her away, leaving a vacant chair and a home made desolate and dreary, lonely and sad, by his relentless hand. Not only mourns a husband in silent grief and agony the departure of a noble and true wife - not only relatives, but all with whom she came in contact must deeply feel that they, too, have sustained a loss, and thus mourn in common grief. Patient, kind and forbearing to all, especially she was well fitted to make life pleasant for the aged and infirm, and truly she did. An earthly choir has lost a singer, but the heavenly choir has gained on.

    "Green be the turf above thee.
      Friend of my better days;
    None knew thee but to love thee,
      None named thee but to praise."
   Buda, Ill. Dec. 23.

Transcribed by Merton Sarvay
December, 2005
You are visitor since 28 Aug 2011 -- thanks for stopping by!

There were 3425 visitors at our previous host from 30 Mar 2006 to 28 Aug 2011.

Last updated: 28 Aug 2011
This page is maintained by Tim Stowell.

© Tim Stowell 2006-2011

Cortland Co, NY Site